I've worked on a few books around SharePoint in the 2007 & 2010 release. My focus is typically around core SharePoint development and the entire Enterprise Content Management (ECM) space, specifically Web Content Management (WCM) going back to my Microsoft Content Management Server (MCMS) 2002 days. I entertained plans to work on a SharePoint 2010 ECM book but took a pass this time around due to various reasons.
While I've decided that I do not want to write a book on the subject, I still had some stuff I wanted to say that wasn't your typical "how to" & reference book content, but I wanted to include my take on it. So this time around I am going to put these thoughts here on my blog... what better place! Best of all, there's no book you've got to wait for or to take up more space on your desk! Plus, I get to say what I want to say... no technical editor suggesting I have to rephrase something... my voice :)
One thing this means is that you might see me regurgitate some information that others blogged about or that you'll find on TechNet. This is what you'd see if you picked up a book on the subject. When you see something like that just remember back to this post and think "that's right, this is AC's 'book'."
The first thing that is the crucial piece to both ECM & WCM in SharePoint 2010 is Managed Metadata. I've been wanting to do a series on Managed Metadata in SharePoint 2010 for quite some time. What will follow in a few subsequent posts could likely be found on other people's blogs or in SharePoint documentation on MSDN & TechNet. The reason why I'm writing it is because I seem to keep getting the question over and over that goes something like "I know what it is, but what is your take on SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata?"
So here you go, this is my take...
- SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata - About the series...
- SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata - What is it?
- SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata - Why I love it!
- SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata - Global vs. Local Term Sets
- SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata - Moving/Copying MMS Instances / Term Stores between Environments
- SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata - In Depth Look into the Taxonomy Parts
- SharePoint 2010 Managed Metadata - Creating Managed Metadata Columns